The North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association announced today the election of its 2018 officers to the Board of Directors, as well as the new directors who will serve the association.
Billy Sewell, Platinum Corral, was announced as the 2018 NCRLA chairman of the Board of Directors during the association’s Annual Meeting. Sewell is president of a multi-state Golden Corral franchisee based in Jacksonville, North Carolina.
“Billy brings a wealth of knowledge, generated from his career-long commitment to the hospitality industry,” said NCRLA President and CEO Lynn Minges. “We look forward to working with him in the year to come, as NCRLA addresses industry priorities impacting North Carolina’s $23 billion restaurant, foodservice and lodging industry.”
Sewell began his career with Golden Corral in 1989 as an associate manager, working his way through the ranks before becoming a franchisee in 1996. He has served multiple stints on the NCRLA Board of Directors, his most recent term beginning in 2015. In 2008, Sewell was named NCRLA’s North Carolina Restaurateur of the Year, and became a National Restaurant Association Board member in 2009.
Vinay Patel of SREE Hotels (NCRLA vice chair); Steve Thanhauser of The Angus Barn (NCRLA treasurer); and Nishith Patel of Beacon IMG (NCRLA secretary), round out the 2018 officers. Mike Martino, Sheraton Imperial Hotel Raleigh-Durham Airport at Research Triangle Park, moves to the position of immediate past chair.
NCRLA’s Board consists of up to 25 directors, representing restaurants, lodging properties and allied partners. These volunteer leaders provide strategic guidance to NCRLA in its efforts to advance and protect North Carolina’s hospitality industry.
Jim Beley of The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Dan Freeland of Concord Hospitality Group, Doris Huebner of F&D Huebner, LLC, and Jason Smith of 18 Restaurant Group, were elected to the Board of Directors during the meeting.
The following Board members will return to the Board of Directors in 2018:
- Scott Brewton, Pinehurst Resort & Spa
- Phil Friedman, Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina
- Joel Griffin, Griffin Stafford Hospitality
- Alan Hilton, Eastern Division, S&D Coffee, Inc.
- Burney Jennings, Biscuitville Fresh Southern
- Scott Maitland, Top of the Hill Restaurant, Brewery & Distillery
- Mike Martino, Sheraton Imperial Hotel & Convention Center
- Amber Moshakos, LM Restaurants
- Robert M. O’Halloran, School of Hospitality Leadership, East Carolina University
- Tom Sasser, Harper’s Restaurant
- Charles Thompson, The Inn on Biltmore Estate
- Lance Trenary, Golden Corral Corporation
- Sterling F. Webster IV, Hilton Garden Inn OBX & Ramada Plaza OBX
- Crissy Wright, Charlotte Marriott City Center
For more information about NCRLA, visit www.ncrla.org.