NCRLA’s annual award ceremony celebrates North Carolina’s top hospitality industry professionals
RALEIGH, N.C. (Feb. 17, 2021) – The North Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association (NCRLA), the voice of North Carolina’s restaurant, foodservice and lodging industry, hosted its annual 2021 Stars of the Industry awards ceremony last night. The award recipients were recognized during a ceremony at The Pavilion at the Angus Barn in Raleigh, which was streamed online as a virtual event for friends, family and industry supporters to safely celebrate their achievements.
At a time when restaurants, hotels and bars are reeling from business and job losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Stars of the Industry awards afforded North Carolina’s hospitality community a chance to reflect and honor the selfless contributions and stories of inspiration from within the industry. Award recipients were selected based on their exemplary service, leadership, innovation and dedication to the restaurant and lodging industries. Two members of the NC General Assembly, Representative Julia Howard and Senator Chuck Edwards, were also recognized for their consistent support of the state’s business growth and needs.
“Even in these extraordinary times, the hospitality industry is brimming with outstanding leaders who are raising the bar for excellence in performance, service and commitment to the industry,” said NCRLA President and CEO Lynn Minges. “We are proud to recognize the hardworking men and women that continue to give back to their communities every day, even amid the challenges the industry faces today.”
Among the honorees recognized were Steve Thanhauser, co-owner of the Angus Barn, who took home the Griff and June Glover Award for Distinguished Service, and the Huebner family, F & D Huebner, received the Ken Conrad Award for Service to the Community. Thanhauser and the Huebner family have dedicated themselves to advancing the hospitality experience in the state and have set the tone for their colleagues with their work ethic and commitment to the industry.
The 2021 NCRLA Stars of the Industry award recipients are:
- Restaurateurs of the Year | Charles Winston Jr. & Wil O’Neal, Winston’s Grille
- Restaurant Manager of the Year | Terriann Biagi, The Raleigh Times
- Restaurant Employee of the Year | Mai Nguyen, Sitti
- Lodging Operator of the Year | Tiffany Tucker, Canopy by Hilton Southpark
- Lodging Manager of the Year | Christina McCall, Pinehurst Resort
- Lodging Employee of the Year | Marie Mosoti, Omni Charlotte Hotel
- Hospitality Supplier of the Year | Kevin Osterman & Wayne Hilston, Employers
- Charitable Champion | Emily Ballard, Emily Ballard Photography
- Hospitality Champion, House | Representative Julia Howard, NC General Assembly
- Hospitality Champion, Senate | Senator Chuck Edwards, NC General Assembly
- Griff & June Glover Award | Steve Thanhauser, Angus Barn
- Ken Conrad Award | The Huebner Family, F & D Huebner
The emcees for the night were Max Trujillo and Matt Weiss of the NC Food & Beverage Podcast. The evening was made possible thanks to dedicated sponsors, including Premier Sponsor US Foods; Silver Sponsors DoorDash, Ecolab, Employers, Pepsi, United Healthcare; Bronze Sponsors Atlas Production Group, Cranfill Sumner LLP, Empire Eats, Firehouse Subs, Intercontinental Hotel Group, Meetings on Cue, Summit Hospitality Group; Wine Sponsor NC Wine and Grape Council; and Supporting Sponsors Angus Barn, NC F&B Podcast, Omni Charlotte Hotel and Winston’s Grille.
The North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association (NCRLA) serves to advance and protect the interests of more than 20,000 businesses that employ 11 percent of the state’s workforce and generate more than $27.3 billion in sales annually. www.ncrla.org