2022 NCRLA Chef Showdown
Presented by Got To Be NC Agriculture
Grand Finale: Monday, August 8, 6-8:30 pm
The Pavilion at the Angus Barn, in Raleigh NC
Now in its sixth sensational season, this prestigious, can’t-miss culinary and cocktail competition is the only statewide contest in which the North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association names the NCRLA Chef of the Year, NCRLA Pastry Chef of the Year, and NCRLA Bartender of the Year and the NCRLA Distillery of the Year.
While the preliminary and regional rounds of competition are private events, we welcome you to attend our August 8 Grand Finale. Here 20 top North Carolina Chefs and Pastry Chefs and six Bartenders from one end of the state to the other will come together to compete for top titles and YOU can be the judge and vote for your Performance Foodservice People’s Choice Award favorites. Get your tickets now!
“Chef Showdown has become the place to showcase the incredible talent of the North Carolina hospitality industry. Our sixth annual event will feature North Carolina’s most innovative chefs, each working with local NC products; and a group of incredibly creative bartenders all representing distilleries from across the state.”– Lynn Minges, President & CEO of NCRLA
Get Tickets Now.
You be the Judge for the Performance Food Service People’s Choice Awards on August 8, 2022 at
The Angus Barn Pavilion in Raleigh NC
Announcing the six NC Mixologists representing six NC Distilleries who will move on to the Aug 8 Grand Finale:
- Mixologist David Bowen of The Ginger Fox representing Broad Branch Distillery, both in Winston-Salem NC
- Mixologist Max Barwick soon to be at Neighbors Bar representing Fainting Goat Spirits, both in Greensboro NC
- Mixologist Brian Pratt of Flying Machine Taproom and Kitchen in Wrightsville Beach representing Blue Shark Vodka, Wilmington NC
- Mixologist Paul Gulley of Corpse Reviver Bar & Lounge representing Durham Distillery, Durham NC
- Mixologist David Schmidt of the soon to open Canopy Cocktails & Garden in Charlotte NC representing The Hackney Distillery, Washington NC
- Mixologist Jessie Rossabi of The Willard Rooftop Lounge in Raleigh NC representing Mystic Farm and Distillery, Durham NC
And, the 2022 Finalists for the Culinary Competition:
- Chef Nick Chavez Salt Fish Restaurant and Tiki Bar, Carolina Beach NC
- Chef Jamie Davis The Hackney, Washington NC
- Pastry Chef Gerald Hawkins soon to be at Seabird Restaurant, Wilmington NC
- Pastry Chef Savanna Broder The Ballantyne Hotel, Charlotte NC
- Chef Charles Gardiner The Ballantyne Hotel, Charlotte NC
- Chef Kevin Cottrell Machete, Greensboro NC
- Pastry Chef Lydia Greene Machete, Greensboro NC
- Chef Keith Henning Black Powder Smokehouse, Jamestown NC
- Chef Andres Prussing Golden Owl Tavern, UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center in Charlotte NC
- Pastry Chef Luis Rojas Marriott Charlotte City Center, Charlotte NC
- Chef Oscar Johnson Jimmy Pearls, Charlotte NC
- Chef Phillip Platoni Southminster , Charlotte NC
- Chef Myles Scaglione PARA Charlotte , Charlotte NC
- Pastry Chef Whitney King Stable Cafe at Biltmore, Asheville NC
- Chef Ryan Kline Jargon Restaurant, Asheville NC
- Chef Matthew Rivers Blowing Rock Country Club, Blowing Rock NC
- Chef Sera Cuni Cafe Root Cellar, Pittsboro NC
- Chef Kyle Teears Saint Jacques French Cuisine, Raleigh NC
- Chef Malik Williams Tap@1918, Rocky Mount NC
- Chef Daniel Wheeler Caldwell Community College, Hudson and Boone NC
Proud of these chefs & pastry chefs and the 12 NC distilleries selected to compete in our 2022 season!
Based on the judges scores, 15 chefs and 5 pastry chefs were invited to move on to one of two regional semi-final rounds of competition to be held July 11 at Wake Tech School of Baking and Pastry Arts in Raleigh, NC and July 18 at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC.
The same 20 chefs will compete for NCRLA top honors, a chance to be a 2022-23 GotToBeNC Culinary Ambassador, and will vie for the Performance FoodService People’s Choice Awards at the August 8 Grand Finale at The Pavilion at Angus Barn in Raleigh NC.
NEW for 2022! Two private regional rounds of our Mixology Competition where North Carolina bartenders partner with NC Distilleries to shake and stir their way into the top six semi-finalist spots at the August 8 Grand Finale. Guests at the Grand Finale will be able to cast Performance Food Service People’s Choice Award votes for the their favorite cocktail as well.
In each phase of the competition, chefs and mixologists are judged on execution & technique, the conceptualization of their dish or cocktail, interpretation & style, the best use of local North Carolina ingredients on each plate and in each glass; and, of course, the taste!
Follow the preliminary and regional round action and see each of the dishes and cocktails created this year on the NCRLA and Chef Showdown social media pages.
- Introducing our 2022 NCRLA Chef Showdown Sponsors
- Got To Be NC Culinary Ambassadors
- Meet the Past Chef Showdown Winners
- NCRLA Chef Showdown In the News